Over 3,000 ships call at the Port of Vancouver each year, and those that follow responsible environmental management practices are rewarded for helping to protect Vancouver’s natural environment.
Through the port authority’s EcoAction Program, shipping companies can qualify for up to 75% off their harbour dues fees by taking voluntary measures to reduce their environmental impact, such as by using renewable energy to reduce air emissions, installing propeller technologies that reduce underwater noise, or obtaining third-party environmental designations.
Based on eligible criteria a shipping company meets, it can qualify for a Platinum, Gold, Silver, or Bronze award level:
- Each approved ship is eligible to receive the EcoAction Program discount for all calls where harbour dues are applicable at the Port of Vancouver
- Applications can be made for a single ship call or an annual declaration
- The port authority verifies each application to confirm the selected environmental measure and corresponding discount level. We may request additional information, as needed.
- Applications are approved or denied at the time of verification at the sole discretion of the port authority
- Shipping lines with approved applications will receive an invoice at the discounted rate
- For annual ship declarations, the discounted rate is applied to all invoices until December 31 of the application year, once the application is approved. If the ship’s certification level changes during the year, the discount may be adjusted.
- For single call applications, if the time of arrival does not match the application, the discounted rate will not be applied. The date in the application can be adjusted if the ship’s estimated time of arrival changes.
- Appeals to review a prior decision can be filed with the port authority, please email [email protected]
How to apply
- Please review the eligible criteria
- Visit our customer portal
- Once logged in, select “EcoAction Program”
- On the “EcoAction Program” tab, select one of the following two options:
- “Annual declaration” if your ship will be calling at the Port of Vancouver multiple times over the course of the year, or if you are unsure of the ship’s time of arrival and want to ensure the application is eligible
- “Single call application” to apply for each ship call individually
- Provide the following information:
- Vessel name and IMO identification
- Estimated time of arrival (for single call applications only)
- Select one qualifying environmental measure from full list of EcoAction Program criteria
- Upload supporting documentation, if required
For inquiries, email [email protected].