The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is leading the Pitt Meadows Road and Rail Improvement project that will eliminate the rail crossings at Harris Road and Kennedy Road. Pitt Meadows is home to two of the busiest rail crossings in the lower mainland.
The project includes:
- A new four-lane underpass below the CP main rail crossing at Harris Road
- A new two-lane overpass on Kennedy Road over the main rail line entrance to CP’s Vancouver Intermodal Facility
- An extension of one of CP’s existing rail tracks to the Vancouver Intermodal Facility
CP is leading the following rail components:
- A new siding track on the north side of the existing tracks between Harris Road and Kennedy Road
- An extension of the existing lead track accessing the Vancouver Intermodal Facility east across Harris Road
The port authority is consulting with Indigenous groups, municipalities, and other stakeholders as we conduct technical studies and community engagement, advance project design, and plan for project construction.
Photo of Harris Road today
Rendering of underpass at Harris Road, final design still to be determined
The port authority has a positive track record of delivering high-quality projects based on best practices in sustainability, environmental protection, and engagement.
Benefits of this project include:
The port authority will also work with the local community and Indigenous groups to identify opportunities for:
Successfully delivering this project will require strong collaboration with the City of Pitt Meadows, local Indigenous groups, and CP, and we will be working closely with them to ensure the project addresses their particular needs.
This project has three partners:
Vancouver Fraser Port Authority
The port authority is providing overall project management and ensuring best practice in engagement and environmental protection.
CP owns and operates the Vancouver Intermodal Facility located in Pitt Meadows. CP will lead the extension of the existing track leading to the Vancouver Intermodal Facility. They are also providing project funding.
City of Pitt Meadows
The City of Pitt Meadows is collaborating with the port authority and CP to ensure the project meets the needs of the community. The city will be responsible for maintaining the Kennedy Road overpass and the public-serving portions of the Harris Road underpass (not the structure supporting the rail) when complete. CP will maintain the structure supporting the rail tracks. The city is also helping to find a new location for the Hoffmann & Son Shop and the General Store.
The below timeline shows historical events as well as the project’s anticipated timeline.
- 2017 – Project submitted to the National Trade Corridors Fund for funding
- 2018 – Early public engagement held in Pitt Meadows on the future of transportation in the city
- 2018 – The Government of Canada grants funding to design and build the project through the National Trade Corridors Fund
- October 21- November 22, 2019 – First phase of public engagement
- July 7-28, 2020 – Phase two engagement, part one for the Kennedy Road overpass
- 2021 – Phase two engagement, part two for the Harris Road underpass
- 2021 – Final project approval
- 2021 – Construction begins
- 2024 – Project completion
Timelines are subject to change
We acknowledge that while port-related developments provide local, regional, and national benefits, they may also have potential impacts on those who live, work, or play in and around port lands and waters.
Our approach to public consultation is based on two-way communication and open dialogue, working together to ensure the community, the environment, and the economy are all considered during project planning.
2018: Future of Transportation in Pitt Meadows public engagement documents
- Read the engagement summary from the Future of Transportation in Pitt Meadows
- View the open house boards
2019: Phase one public engagement (October 21 – November 22, 2019) public engagement documents
- Read the engagement summary from the first phase of public engagement
- View the open house boards
- View the discussion guide
2020: Phase two engagement, part one for the Kennedy Road (July 7 to 28, 2020) public engagement documents
The following documents highlight what we’ve heard throughout public engagement and what we’ve done so far. For a more detailed summary, please review the engagement summaries under the “Previous engagement” section.
June 22, 2018 – News Release – Vancouver to benefit from more than $200 million in federal funding for infrastructure projects
May 31, 2019 – News Release – Project to separate Pitt Meadows roadways from rail crossings closer to becoming a reality
August 6, 2019 – City of Pitt Meadows News Release – Underpass and Overpass Memorandum of Understanding Endorsed by Council
October 9, 2019 – Newsletter – Project update and look ahead to phase one engagement
November 22, 2019 – Newsletter – Wrap up of phase one engagement
May 4, 2020 – Newsletter – Notice of upcoming phase one engagement summary presentation to Pitt Meadows city council
May 6, 2020 – Newsletter – Follow up from phase one engagement summary presentation to Pitt Meadows city council
June 24, 2020 – Newsletter – Upcoming engagement
July 6, 2020 – Newsletter – Engagement opens tomorrow, presentation to Pitt Meadows city council tomorrow
This project is funded by the Government of Canada through the National Trade Corridors Fund, the port authority, and CP.
Part of Greater Vancouver Gateway 2030