The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is upgrading roadways in the Fraser Richmond Industrial Lands. This location and its connections to major transportation routes and facilities make it an active industrial area for warehouse and transload businesses that pack and unpack shipping containers moving to and from the Port of Vancouver. This corridor has some of the most concentrated activity in the Greater Vancouver area for moving goods from marine terminals to rail lines and trucks, and then off to other destinations.
The project includes:
- A new overpass on Portside Road at Blundell Road to cross over the CN rail line
- Widening Blundell Road from two lanes to four lanes, between the No. 8 Road intersection and just west of York Road
- A new bridge and extension of Portside Road over the No. 7 Road Canal
- A new multi-use pathway along the north side of Blundell Road and south side of Portside Road
We are now working with Indigenous groups, municipalities, and other stakeholders to undertake technical studies and engagement, advance project design, and plan for construction.
Draft rendering of the Portside Road overpass
Draft rendering of a widened Blundell Road
Draft rendering of the extension of Portside Road over the canal
Project map and components
The port authority has a long and successful track record of delivering high-quality projects based on best practices in sustainability, environmental protection, and engagement. Benefits of this project include:
- 2019 – Project receives funding from the Government of Canada’s National Trade Corridors Fund for design and construction
- Fall 2019 to Summer 2022 – Stakeholder engagement, environmental permits, lease amendments, agreements
- 2022 – Preliminary design, environmental assessments
- 2023 – Construction begins
- 2025 – Project completion
Timelines are subject to change.
We have concluded the first phase of engagement for the project and our engagement summary is now available.
From July 8 to 22, 2020, the port authority invited stakeholders to review the proposed project and share feedback.
- Read the phase one engagement summary
- Watch a recording of the online information session, held July 8, 2020
- Read the presentation provided at the online information session
- Submit questions by email to [email protected] or by calling 604.665.9004
The next phase of engagement featuring a more detailed project design is planned for mid-2021.
August 24, 2020 – Notification of geotechnical and field investigations
July 8, 2020 – Invitation – Portside Blundell information session
November 27, 2019 – Notification of project commencement and upcoming survey work
This project is funded by the Government of Canada through the National Trade Corridors Fund, the port authority and CN.
The project is part of the Greater Vancouver Gateway 2030.