The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is upgrading roadways in the Fraser Richmond Industrial Lands.
This location and its connections to major transportation routes and facilities make it a popular industrial area for warehouses and transload business that pack and unpack shipping containers moving to and from the port. This corridor has some of the highest and most concentrated activity in the Greater Vancouver area for moving goods from terminals to rail lines and trucks, and off to other destinations.
The project includes:
- A new overpass on Portside Road at Blundell Road to cross over the CN rail line
- Widening Blundell Road from two lanes to four lanes, between the No. 8 Road intersection and just west of York Road
- A new bridge and extension of Portside Road over the No. 7 Road Canal
We are now working with Indigenous groups, municipalities and other stakeholders to undertake technical studies and engagement, advance project design, and plan for construction.
Draft rendering of the Portside Road overpass
Draft rendering of a widened Blundell Road
Draft rendering of the extension of Portside Road over the canal
Project map and components
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority has a long and successful track record of delivering high-quality projects based on best practices in environmental sustainability, environmental protection, and engagement. Anticipated benefits of this project include:
The below timeline shows past events as well as the project’s anticipated timeline
- 2019 – Project successful in receiving funding from the Government of Canada’s National Trade Corridors Fund for design and construction
- Fall 2019–Fall 2020 – Stakeholder engagement, environmental permits, lease amendments, agreements
- Spring 2020 – Preliminary design, environmental assessments
- 2021 – Construction anticipated to begin
- 2023 – Project completion
Timelines are subject to change.
November 27, 2019 – Notification of project commencement and upcoming survey work
July 26, 2019 – Vancouver to benefit from $100 million in federal funding to support trade-enabling infrastructure
Project fact sheet – Portside Blundell Road Improvements Project
Funding for this project was provided by the Government of Canada through the National Trade Corridors Fund, CN, and the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority. Project value $109.8 million.
The project is part of the Greater Vancouver Gateway 2030.