Howe Sound Pulp and Paper Corporation | Underground storage tanks removal
Permit application under review
In July 2023, Howe Sound Pulp and Paper Corporation submitted a project permit application to remove two underground storage tanks (USTs) at their facility to reduce their liability. The proposed project is located at 8501 Ontario Street, Vancouver on federal lands managed by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.
As part of the Project and Environmental Review for the proposed project under the Impact Assessment Act, the proposed project was posted on the Canadian Impact Assessment Registry with an opportunity for public comment between July 27 and August 25, 2023.
About the project
Stantec Consulting Ltd., working on behalf of Howe Sound Pulp and Paper Corporation, proposes to remove two underground storage tanks (USTs) at their facility to reduce their liability. The proposed works include:
- Removal of asphalt and concrete covering the USTs
- Asphalt and concrete materials would be taken offsite for recycling
- Removal of approximately 75 cubic metres of soil over an approximately 25 square metre area
- Contaminated soil, if present, would be loaded into dump trucks for treatment at an approved licensed facility
- Removal of two underground storage tanks of approximately 500 and 1000 gallons in volume
- Any residual fuel within the USTs will be removed and taken offsite for disposal at an approved licensed facility
- Removal of related infrastructure, such as pumps, pipes and wiring
- Backfill of excavated areas with clean material and re-paving with asphalt
Please note, when receiving public feedback as part of the PER process, the port authority may collect your personal information, i.e., your name, contact information and personal views and opinions, to inform the PER process for a proposed project. Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties, such as our tenants, in order for them to respond directly to you or help inform our response. You are entitled to submit a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner office here.