Heidelberg Materials | ​Maintenance Dredging – East of Second Narrows Bridge

July 27, 2023

Project status
Permit issued

On October 3, 2023 a project permit was issued to Heidelberg Materials to conduct annual maintenance dredging at the waterlot fronting 10 Riverside Drive, North Vancouver, British Columbia in federal waters managed by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.

The project was approved subject to 32 number permit conditions the applicant must meet to ensure the project does not result in significant adverse environmental effects. Please see the Impact Assessment Act Registry for the Notice of Intent and Notice of Decision.

About the project 

Heidelberg Materials proposes to conduct annual maintenance dredging to remove accumulated gravel (i.e., dredgeate) within the barge berth to achieve appropriate vessel clearance at the site during all tidal conditions. Disposal will be upland. The proposed dredge footprint was last dredged in November 2008 and August 2014 under PER No. 08-114 and PER No. 14-171, respectively. In addition to standard port authority days and hours, work on Sundays and holidays may occur to accommodate operations at the facility, marine traffic, and availability of equipment.  

The proposed works include: 

  • Clamshell dredging in a 1,145 square metre area to a target dredge depth of -5.0 metres local low water with a clamshell bucket mounted on a marine spud derrick. The estimated dredge volume is 1,500 cubic metres per year 
  • Disposal of dredgeate upland 

Contact information 

For questions regarding the Project and Environmental Review of the proposed project, or to get in touch with our team, please contact us by email or phone at 604.665.9047. 

Please note, when receiving public feedback as part of the PER process, the port authority may collect your personal information, i.e., your name, contact information and personal views and opinions, to inform the PER process for a proposed project. Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties, such as our tenants, in order for them to respond directly to you or help inform our response. You are entitled to submit a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner office here.