Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued customers and stakeholders,
Rail and highway infrastructure restoration work has re-established some of the key connections between the B.C. interior and the west coast.
Rail operations: CP operated two trains on their mainline between Vancouver and Kamloops to enable engineering teams to perform full infrastructure inspections and undertake additional repairs. The restored line is anticipated to be open for the start of regular rail service later today, Tuesday, November 23. Both CP and CN trains will transit over the restored line and will operate with slow orders in place and additional track patrols. CN has revised their estimated opening of their mainline from Wednesday, November 24 to Thursday, November 25.
Port of Vancouver rail production (November 23):
- Grain unloads: 0
- Container terminal rail production: 0 ft
- Container import on-dock footage: 308,709 ft
Truck operations: Truck operations at all four container terminals remain steady. Reconstruction and repairs continue on major roadways impacted by flooding throughout the B.C. interior. Restored highway routes include detours, intermittent closures and essential traffic-only restrictions.
Port of Vancouver truck activity (November 23):
- Container truck reservations: 2,221
Marine operations: Anchorage demand remains high across all vessel types. Anchorages are assigned in a manner that ensures fluidity across all ship types and maintains essential services. Vessels in port can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port”.
Port of Vancouver anchorage occupation (November 23):
- VFPA (English Bay, inner habour, Indian Arm): 67%
- Southern Gulf Islands: 56%
The provincial state of emergency declared by the British Columbia Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General remains in place. The state of emergency effective November 17, 2021 applies to the entire province of B.C. for an initial 14-day period and may be extended or rescinded as conditions require.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed on any new developments as they arise.
- Port import rail on-dock footage summary: Import Rail On-dock Footage (updated daily Monday-Friday)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations via the port authority’s mobile app eHub. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, and gateway vessel on-time performance through the port authority’s website (Performance Metrics).
- Port operations updates: Operations updates
- State of Emergency Declaration: State of Emergency Declaration (issued November 17, 2021)
Pease feel free to forward this update within your organization.
Thank you for your continued support of the Port of Vancouver.