Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued Customers and Stakeholders,
Temperatures over in the southeastern part of the province will continue to be hot and above seasonal numbers. Wildfire activity in the B.C. interior is expected to continue with impacts to rail operations. Over the weekend (July 17), a fire at Tremont Creek shut down CN and CP traffic briefly, for an hour and half.
At the time of this update, reports indicate that both CN and CP lines are operational with an increase in rail activity over the past few days. Operations may be subject to temporary stoppages due to spot fires. Both lines continue to operate under Ministerial Order (MO) 21-06 requirements, which include targeted speed restrictions, increased equipment inspections, and staging and deployment of additional fire prevention equipment. Today’s Port of Vancouver Daily Import Rail On-dock Footage Summary is available on our Port Dashboard: https://www.portvancouver.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/05/Oct-07-2021-Port-of-Vancouver-Container-Terminal-Performance-update-2.pdf
All anchorage class assignments are experiencing heightened demand, and availability in both port jurisdiction and the Southern Gulf Islands is very limited at the moment. All English Bay anchorages are full and Southern Gulf Islands have 10 anchorages remaining. The vessel arrival board continues to remain busy and we have multiple vessels all over 260 m in length arriving over the next 3 days. Vessels in port (at berth and at anchor) can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port.”
We continue to monitor the situation on a regular basis; given the recovery progress underway, we will be reducing these updates to three days a week or on an as-needed basis. Please note that our Port Import Rail On-dock Footage summary is updated daily.
- Port Import Rail On-dock Footage Summary: July 19 update (updated daily Mon-Fri)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations. Free to download here on our website or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port Dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, and Gateway vessel on-time performance here on our website
- Port operations updates: available on our website
- Ministerial Order 21-06 (MO 21-06) issued July 11: Order Pursuant to Section 32.01 of The Railway Safety Act (MO 21-06) (canada.ca)
- BC Wildfire Dashboard
Please feel free to forward this update within your organization.
Thank you for your continued support of the Port of Vancouver.