Leasing frequently asked questions

Q: Can I use port property on a shortterm basis? 

A: If you or your company wish to use port lands or waters on a shortterm basis for filming or special events, you must first apply for a permit. If you wish to use port property that is already occupied by a tenant, please contact the tenant directly to make arrangements. 

Q: Does the port authority have the power to expropriate land? 

A: No, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority has no expropriation power. We compete on the open market to acquire new land, and we adhere to guidelines set by Transport Canada. 

Q: How does the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority determine the fees of leasing property at the Port of Vancouver? 

A: The cost of tenure on federal port lands and/or waters is determined based on prevailing market rates. When you enter into a leasing agreement with us, a fee to cover the cost of preparing the tenure is issued, as well as any subsequent consents and amendments that you may require during the tenure term. Please refer to our Port of Vancouver fee schedule for details*. Other fees and permits to construct improvements may be required. 

*Please note rent is not included in the fee document. Please contact our real estate team for pricing. 

Q: What is the difference between leasing and licensing port property? 

A: When a tenant leases port property, they enter into a long-term agreement that gives them exclusive possession of the land and/or water in their agreement. Licensing refers to short-term use, and typically involves non-exclusive use and multiple occupancies on the property (e.g. recreational docks). 

Q: What is the port authority’s auditing process for prospective tenants? 

A: Once a leasing enquiry is received, our real estate team begins the process of assessing the prospective new business case by: 

  1. Reviewing the enquiry to make sure it is aligned with the Canada Marine Act and our letters patent 
  2. Evaluating our site availability 
  3. Requesting a formal proposal detailing how the land will be used 
  4. Consulting with internal departments such as our planning and Project and Environmental Review teams 
  5. Conducting risk assessments 

FAQs for existing tenants

Q: How do I pay my fees? 

A: We offer an online banking option that provides convenience and flexibility for our customers. To pay your fees using online banking: 

  1. Select “add payee” in the bill payment section of your online banking provider’s website 
  2. Enter “Vancouver Fraser Port Authority” in the search field 
  3. Enter your six digit customer number (found at the top right of your invoice) as the payee account 
  4. Verify the information provided, and proceed 

Q: What are my obligations as a tenant at the Port of Vancouver? 

A: Once tenure is issued, please be aware of certain obligations and responsibilities you may be required to carry out or deliver to the port authority during the term. These include provisions for insurance, environmental assessments, a plan for stormwater managementsurvey plans and the port authority’s consent for construction within the premises. 

Q: What does it mean when my leasing agreement requires an environmental assessment? 

A: An environmental assessment protects both tenants and the port authority by identifying environmental liabilities associated with a property. Any owner or occupier, past or present, can be held financially responsible for site contamination. If your lease agreement with the port authority requires you to conduct environmental testing, please consult our environmental baseline and exit assessments document for more information and next steps. 

Q: What does it mean when my leasing agreement requires a legal assessment? 

A: If your lease agreement with the port authority requires a legal assessment, you will be required to have your leased premises surveyed by a British Columbia Land surveyor. Please consult our requirements for legal surveys document to learn more. 

Q: What do I do if I need to change my contact information? 

A: If you have moved or your company personnel has changed, please use our tenant contact update form to update your information on our files.