The port authority is committed to operating in an environmentally sustainable manner, in accordance with our vision for the Port of Vancouver to be the world’s most sustainable port.
Our programs and initiatives address port-related environmental impacts and help protect air, land and water within and around our jurisdiction. Our vision for a sustainable port focuses on maintaining healthy ecosystems, taking action to mitigate and adapt to climate change, and advancing responsible practices in infrastructure and throughout the global supply chain. We collaborate with customers, industry, governments, Indigenous groups, non-government organizations, and communities to increase understanding, share best practices and drive continual environmental improvement.
Protecting the environment is part of our mandate as a Canada Port Authority, which requires a high degree of care and consideration in all of our business decisions.
Our policy commitments
Our environment policy commits us to:
- Comply with all applicable environmental legislation and regulations
- Conduct reviews of projects and physical works as mandated under applicable legislation and as otherwise required to inform decision-making in support of sustainability
- Conduct our environmental affairs under principles of reasonableness, fairness and ethical conduct
- Protect and improve air, land, water and habitat quality within our jurisdiction, and where practical and feasible, beyond our jurisdiction
- Apply the precautionary principle when there is limited scientific data available on a potential environmental impact
- Incorporate Indigenous knowledge into environmental assessment and management practices, where practical or required pursuant to applicable legislation
- Establish environmental objectives and targets to advance the port authority’s vision and monitor performance
- Develop and implement innovative programs and initiatives to advance environmental stewardship, mitigate impacts and drive continuous improvement
- Take action to mitigate climate change by reducing port-related greenhouse gas emissions
- Improve the sustainability of infrastructure through planning, design, construction and operation
- Integrate environmental considerations into all aspects of the port authority’s business including planning, development, operations and emergency response
- Collaborate with customers, industry, governments, Indigenous groups, non-government organizations, and communities to increase understanding, share best practices and improve environmental performance
- Ensure all employees and contractors are aware of this policy and their responsibility to act in accordance with it
- Prepare an annual report documenting compliance for review by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority’s board of directors
- Report on our environmental performance in line with accepted best sustainability reporting practices