Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued customers and stakeholders:
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) Canada and the British Columbia Maritime Employers Association (BCMEA) have reached a tentative agreement as of today, July 13, 2023. The four-year agreement is subject to ratification by both parties. ILWU labour will return to work effective 1630 PST, July 13.
Currently, there are 4 container vessels at anchor and 10 awaiting entry into the port’s jurisdiction. To view the Container Vessel Line-Up Report that includes vessels at anchor and dwelling outside of port authority waters, please visit our port dashboard here.
The port authority is now implementing a recovery plan in coordination with industry partners including shipping lines, rail companies, and marine terminals. The plan will apply a priority-based anchorage allocation system to balance the needs of all business sectors and commodities to restore full port operations and fluidity. Recovery measures include close collaboration and monitoring to ensure port resources are assigned to best support time-sensitive cargo movement and ensure equitable distribution of shared resources.
Port of Vancouver anchorage occupation (July 13, 2023 – 0600 am PST):
- Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (English Bay, inner habour, Indian Arm): 44%
- Southern Gulf Islands: 73%
Vessels in port can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port” via the port authority’s mobile app. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”).
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed of new developments as they arise.
- Information Bulletins: Operations Updates
- Port import rail on-dock footage summary: Import Rail On-dock Footage (updated daily Monday-Friday)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations via the port authority’s mobile app eHub. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, gateway vessel on-time performance, and container vessels at anchor/berth through the port authority’s website (Performance Metrics).