Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued customers and stakeholders:
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) Canada commenced legal strike action against the British Columbia Maritime Employers Association (BCMEA) effective 0800 PST, Saturday, July 1, 2023.
Negotiation discussions between ILWU Canada and BCMEA occurred on Saturday, July 8 with federal mediators.
Nine of 29 marine cargo terminals are currently impacted by labour action. ILWU Canada members are picketing various cargo and container handling sites. The port authority continues to monitor for impacts. For a list of BCMEA members, please visit here. For a list of Port of Vancouver’s 29 marine terminals, please visit here.
Cruise vessels continue to be serviced.
Bulk Grain sector:
Grain vessels continue to be serviced.
Centerm, Deltaport, Fraser Surrey, and Vanterm container terminals are currently impacted by labour action. For the Container Vessel Line-Up Report that includes vessels at anchor and dwelling outside of port authority jurisdiction, please visit our port dashboard here.
CPKC and CN have various embargoes in place. Please contact your railway directly for information regarding embargoed destinations and impacted traffic.
The port authority continues to manage vessel arrivals and anchorage assignments to maintain port fluidity, ensure the safe movement of vessels and manage anchorage capacity for terminals not affected by strike activity.
Port of Vancouver anchorage occupation (July 10, 2023 – 0600 am PST):
- Vancouver Fraser Port Authority (English Bay, inner habour, Indian Arm): 56%
- Southern Gulf Islands: 67%
Vessels in port can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port” via the port authority’s mobile app. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”).
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed of new developments as they arise.
- Information Bulletins: Operations Updates
- Port import rail on-dock footage summary: Import Rail On-dock Footage (updated daily Monday-Friday)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations via the port authority’s mobile app eHub. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, gateway vessel on-time performance, and container vessels at anchor/berth through the port authority’s website (Performance Metrics).
Thank you for your continued support of the Port of Vancouver.