Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued customers and stakeholders,
The International Longshore and Warehouse Union (ILWU) Canada commenced legal strike action against the British Columbia Maritime Employers Association (BCMEA) effective today at 8:00 a.m. PST, Saturday, July 1, 2023.
Meetings between ILWU Canada and BCMEA occurred throughout the night with the support of the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. A tentative agreement has not been reached at this time. ILWU Canada and its members have begun strike action at various sites.
We are monitoring for impacts at BCMEA terminals. Grain handling and cruise operation services are expected to continue.
The port authority is taking proactive measures to manage vessel arrivals and anchorage assignments to maintain port fluidity, ensure the safe movement of vessels and manage anchorage capacity for terminals not affected by strike activity. The following operational procedures will be implemented in the event of labour action:
- Inner Harbour: Maximum stay of 48-hours will be strictly enforced, and assignment will be limited to bunkering, fumigation, staging area, or emergency situations.
- English Bay and Indian Arm: The maximum stay limit of 7-days will be lifted. All anchorages will be reserved to support operations at terminals not affected by strike activity, partly loaded vessels that are delayed due to labour action, and larger vessels that can only be accommodated in English Bay.
- Southern Gulf Islands: These anchorages will be assigned per the Interim protocol for waiting vessels; a balanced use of these anchorages across the South Coast BC region and commodity sectors will be ensured.
Vessels in port can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port” via the port authority’s mobile app. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”).
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed of any new developments as they arise.
- Information Bulletins: Operations Updates
- Port import rail on-dock footage summary: Import Rail On-dock Footage (updated daily Monday-Friday)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations via the port authority’s mobile app eHub. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, gateway vessel on-time performance, and container vessels at anchor/berth through the port authority’s website (Performance Metrics).