Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued customers and stakeholders,
The Vancouver gateway continues to experience disrupted rail and truck movement due to flooding throughout the Metro Vancouver and Fraser Valley regions. Significant progress on repairs were made over the weekend on both rail and highway infrastructure.
Rail operations: CN and CP crews and engineering teams continue to make significant progress clearing debris and undertaking repairs to damaged rail infrastructure between Kamloops and Vancouver. CP anticipates having its mainline operational by late Tuesday, November 23. CN expects to open their mainline on Wednesday, November 24. Rail service on restored lines will resume when it is safe to do so.
Port of Vancouver rail production (November 22):
- Grain unloads: 0
- Container terminal rail production: 0 ft
- Container import on-dock footage: 295,000 ft
Truck operations: Trucks are operating under normal conditions at all four container terminals. One highway route through the flood impacted Fraser Valley is open for regular traffic between Metro Vancouver and the B.C. interior. Reconstruction and repairs on all major roadways continue.
Port of Vancouver truck activity (November 22):
- Container truck reservations: 1,222
Marine operations: Anchorage demand is high and nearing capacity across all vessel types. Anchorages are assigned in a manner that ensures fluidity across all ship types and maintains essential services. Vessels in port can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port”.
Port of Vancouver anchorage occupation (November 22):
- English Bay: 89%
- Inner habour: 100%
- Southern Gulf Islands: 65%
- Indian Arm: 25%
The provincial state of emergency declared by the British Columbia Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General remains in place. The state of emergency effective November 17, 2021 applies to the entire province of B.C. for an initial 14-day period and may be extended or rescinded as conditions require.
We will continue to monitor the situation and keep you informed on any new developments as they arise.
- Port import rail on-dock footage summary: Import Rail On-dock Footage (updated daily Monday-Friday)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations via the port authority’s mobile app eHub. Download from the port authority’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, and gateway vessel on-time performance through the port authority’s website (Performance Metrics).
- Port operations updates: Operations Updates
- State of Emergency Declaration: State of Emergency Declaration (issued November 17, 2021)
Please feel free to forward this update within your organization.
Thank you for your continued support of the Port of Vancouver.