Centerm Community Fund

The second application intake period for the Centerm Community Fund is now open.

The Centerm Community Fund is a $500,000 fund created to benefit the local community benefit as a part of the Centerm Expansion Project. It will be distributed over three years and three intake periods. The fund is designed to support organizations located along the south shore of the Burrard Inlet, where significant construction is taking place over the next few years. Funding comes from the port authority in collaboration with DP World (the operator of Centerm terminal).

This fund is one way we’re supporting thriving communities and saying “thank you” to the community for your patience while significant construction is completed on the Centerm terminal and along the south shore of Burrard Inlet.

When can I apply?

The second intake period is now open.  In light of the COVID-19 situation and the impacts it has had on many, we will be extending the Centerm Community Fund application deadline from April 3 to May 1, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.

Application periods

2019 Tuesday, September 3 – Friday, November 29 (now closed)
2020 Tuesday, January 7 – Friday, May 1 (now open)
2021 Tuesday, January 5 – Friday, April 2

Applications have to be received during the intake period to be considered. All applicants will be advised of the status of their applications within one week after the review meeting. The Community Investment Committee will be reviewing all applications mid-May.

How to apply?

Organizations located in Downtown Eastside (including Chinatown, Gastown, Railtown), Strathcona, Hastings-Sunrise, or Grandview-Woodland are invited to submit proposals to receive funding as part of the Centerm Community Fund.

Apply online

Applications are done through an online platform. You will be asked to create an ID and upload information about your project.

What kind of projects can receive funding?

Where possible, the Centerm Community Fund will support projects or initiatives that align with one or more of the following pillars:

1. Community enrichment

We embrace inclusion, diversity, cultural and community activity, and convening local residents to participate in experiences that are authentic to a port city and that enhance our quality of life. Organization and program applicants must support activities that strengthen their local community and provide opportunities for people to connect with one another.

1. Education and training

We encourage education, awareness and training dedicated to improving access to and quality of educational resources and training opportunities for students in our operating areas. Priority consideration will be given to disciplines that support the operation of the port or related activities, or that are in areas facing skills shortages.

1. Environmental leadership

We take a holistic approach to protecting and improving air, land and water quality to promote biodiversity and human health through the advancement of knowledge and programs to protect habitat and species in our operating areas.

Organization and program applicants must operate within one or more of the following areas to be considered for funding:

• Air: Air quality and greenhouse gases
    • Water and sediment: Water quality, sediment quality and the protection of ocean and river ecosystems
    • Land: Brownfield restoration and environmental remediation
    • Habitat: Habitat restoration and enhancement
    • Climate Action: Energy conservation and alternative energy to minimize greenhouse gas emissions

With rare exceptions, the following types of requests are NOT eligible:

• Arts programs or initiatives
    • Capital campaigns
    • Requests to support activities outside of Canada
    • Travel for organizations, service and/or students clubs, sports teams, etc.
    • 100 per cent of a project’s budget

The following types of organizations are NOT eligible to apply:

• Political organizations or parties
    • Parent Advisory Committees (PACs)
    • Lobbyist organizations
    • Religious organizations (unless a program is open to and benefits people of all faiths)
    • Individual projects
    • Organizations already funded by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority through our United Way campaign
    • Exclusive organizations that bar participation on the basis of race, religion, culture, gender or sexual orientation
    • Professional athletes, sports teams and recreation programs
    • Organizations not registered with the government as charitable or not-for-profit

Frequently asked questions

Q: We are not located in the Centerm neighborhoods, are we still allowed to apply?

A: If the initiative you are submitting for funding serves the listed neighbourhoods adjacent to Centerm, then you may still apply.

Q: Do you accept more than one application from the same organization?

A: You may apply for more than one project, however due to the high number of applications we receive, it is unlikely that both applications would be funded.

Q: I didn’t see any application guidelines or eligibility requirements, where do I find out if my organization is eligible?

A: All eligibility guidelines are outlined under the “What kind of projects can receive funding?” section above.

Q: How can I find out the status of my application?

A: The schedule of the application and review process is outlined under the “When Can I Apply” section. You will receive notification of the committee’s decision within one week of the review meeting.

Q: Can I submit written proposals/letters of support/ etc? And how do I submit them?

A: All supporting documents, budgets, letters of support, etc can be attached to your application through the Benevity application platform.

Q: I’m not applying for money, but an in-kind contribution. Is that allowed?

A: The Centerm Community Fund can only support initiatives through monetary contributions. In-kind applications are ineligible.

Q: Are organizations allowed to apply for multi-year requests?

A: Due to the high volume of applications we receive and the limited term of the Fund, we are unable to accommodate multi-year requests. Successful applicants are welcome to submit an application in future intake periods, however repeat funding is not guaranteed.

Q: Is there a maximum funding amount that organizations can request?

A: While there is no official per application maximum, please bear in mind that we receive a high number or proposals and it is a priority to provide funding for initiatives from every eligible neighbourhood. Typically most approved applications are between $1,000 and $20,000.

Q: If an organization does not specifically operate in the areas of air/water/land/habitat/climate action, are they eligible to apply for Centerm funding? [The program we’re thinking of aligns with two of the three pillars identified – community enrichment and education & training, but not with environmental leadership]

A: Applications do not need to meet all three of the pillars, they can be specialized to only one and still be eligible for funding.

Q: What is the criteria for the community enrichment pillar?

A: Please see the section titled “What kind of projects can receive funding?” above.

Q: What is the criteria for the education & training pillar?

A: Please see the section titled “What kind of projects can receive funding?” above.

For questions on the Centerm Community Fund, please contact us at [email protected]