The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority is undertaking a roadwork project to widen and realign Commissioner Street to the north between Nanaimo Street and Slocan Street in order to make room for Canadian Pacific Railway (CP) to add additional rail tracks. This project is being done to help support the capacity needed on the south shore to move goods, and improve port operations. The project received funding in 2019 from the Government of Canada’s National Trade Corridors Fund.
The project includes:
- Removal of the old Columbia Containers grain elevator (completed in early 2020)
- Changes to Commissioner Street near Columbia Containers, includes shifting the road north, paving and adding a new lane
- Construction of a retaining wall
- Relocation of the impacted utilities including the Harbour East Interceptor
- Future installation of additional rail tracks next to current tracks, from four tracks to six tracks (led by CP)
These improvements will:
- Improve port truck movements and traffic flow
- Improve access to terminal facilities for commercial traffic
- Enable safe and efficient access to port lands for employees and service providers
- Provide land for rail track expansion, supporting trade growth and increased local and national jobs
Road work to realign Commissioner Street began in March 2021.
The below shows the project’s anticipated timeline.
- March 2021 – March 2022 – Road realignment period
- January 2022 – Early 2024 – Rail improvement works
Timelines are subject to change.
On April 9, 2021, the Commissioner Street Road and Rail Realignment project team received approval to conduct certain construction activities outside of regular working hours between April 12, 2021 and June 27, 2021. The amended project permit can be found here.
During this period, some low impact construction activities will take place overnight Monday to Friday, on alternating weeks, and on Sunday between 7:00 a.m. and 8:00 p.m. A detailed construction schedule can be found here.
- March 2021 – East Vancouver Port Land Liaison Committee meeting
- December 2020 – East Vancouver Port Lands Liaison Committee meeting
- March 2021 – Notification letter permit amendment update and construction schedule
- February 2021 – Notification letter start of construction
- December 2020 – Notification letter permit amendment request
Send inquiries and complaints to project email account ([email protected]), including noise complaints related to the project.
To effectively monitor and respond to complaints, submit the following information:
- Date and time of noise
- Description of noisy activity
- If this noise is new or has been heard since the start of construction on the project
- Location of the source of the noise or where it is being heard from
This project is funded by the Government of Canada through the National Trade Corridors Fund, the port authority, and CP.
Part of Greater Vancouver Gateway 2030.