City of New Westminster | Queensborough Dike Shoreline Protection Rehabilitation

May 13, 2022

Project status
Permit under review

In May 2022, the City of New Westminster submitted project permit application to undertake the Queensborough Dike Shoreline Protection Rehabilitation Project, on the shoreline north of 345 Gifford Street, New Westminster, BC on federal lands and waters managed by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.

As part of the Project and Environmental Review  for the proposed project under the Impact Assessment Act, the proposed project was posted on the Canadian Impact Assessment Registry with an opportunity for public comment between May 13 and June 11, 2022.

About the project

The City of New Westminster is proposing to rehabilitate a failing segment of existing rip-rap shoreline protection along the Queensborough Dike. The area for rehabilitation is approximately 90 metres in length.  The project will consist site preparation, vegetation removal, shoreline preparation, extension of the existing municipal storm outfall, and replacement of the shoreline protection rip rap. Project activities will be conducted in out-of-water tidal conditions (i.e., in the dry). Staging and laydown areas will be situated on land (i.e., above the high water mark). 

Project activities may need to be completed outside of the port authority’s standard working hours (excluding weekends and holidays) should daytime tides be unfavourable.  

Should the project be approved, the proposed works are scheduled to take approximately 8 months starting summer 2022.

 Contact information
For questions regarding the Project and Environmental Review of the proposed project, or to get in touch with our team, please contact us by email or phone at 604.665.9047.

Please note, when receiving public feedback as part of the PER process, the port authority may collect your personal information, i.e., your name, contact information and personal views and opinions, to inform the PER process for a proposed project. Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties, such as our tenants, in order for them to respond directly to you or help inform our response. You are entitled to submit a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner office here.