Peter Kiewit Sons ULC | Pile Replacements and Removals

May 18, 2022

Project status
Permit issued

On June 30, 2022, a project permit was issued to Peter Kiewit Sons ULC for pile replacements and removals at 1950 Brigantine Drive, Port Coquitlam, British Columbia. The project is on federal lands and waters managed by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.

The project was approved subject to 36 permit conditions Peter Kiewit Sons ULC must meet to ensure the project does not result in significant adverse environmental effects.

About the project

Peter Kiewit Sons ULC proposes to extract approximately sixty-eight (68) treated wooden piles of various sizes and install approximately fifty-eight (58) steel piles to suit their needs for future barge storage. Steel piles will vary from approximately 609 to 762 millimetres in diameter and will be arranged as follows: 

  • Single piles to designate a no anchor zone  
  • Inline to provide moorage areas throughout the site 
  • Dolphins consisting of three (3), four (4) and five (5) piles for mooring purposes 

Piles will be removed and installed using a marine spud derrick equipped with a vibratory hammer and a materials barge. Treated wooden piles will be disposed of at an approved licensed waste management facility.  The project will be scheduled within the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) least-risk window for the Project area and take approximately three months to complete. 

 Contact information
For questions regarding the Project and Environmental Review of the proposed project, or to get in touch with our team, please contact us by email or phone at 604.665.9047.

Please note, when receiving public feedback as part of the PER process, the port authority may collect your personal information, i.e., your name, contact information and personal views and opinions, to inform the PER process for a proposed project. Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties, such as our tenants, in order for them to respond directly to you or help inform our response. You are entitled to submit a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner office here.