Peter Kiewit Sons UCL (PKS) | Maintenance Dredging

May 18, 2022

Project status
Permit issued

On June 30, 2022, a project permit was issued to Peter Kiewit Sons UCL (PKS) for Maintenance Dredging at 1950 Brigantine Drive, Port Coquitlam, British Columbia on federal lands and waters managed by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.

The project was approved subject to 31 number permit conditions PKS must meet to ensure the project does not result in significant adverse environmental effects.

About the project

PKS will conduct maintenance dredging of up to 4,000 cubic metres per year in the water lot fronting 1950 Brigantine Drive, Coquitlam, BC. Maintenance dredging is required to remove accumulated sediments from within the water lot to restore design grades of -6.1 metres chart datum and ensure safe navigation and operation of marine construction equipment (i.e., barges and support vessels). Similar maintenance dredging was most recently conducted in 2020-2021. The Applicant is seeking a multi-year permit to dredge periodically. 

The Project will consists of selectively dredging high points during each dredge event (i.e., the entire footprint is not dredged each event) with a maximum target dredge grade of -6.1 metres chart datum. Maintenance dredging will be completed using a marine spud derrick- or barge-mounted clamshell dredge or excavator. Dredged materials will be loaded onto barges for transport and disposal at an approved disposal at sea site under a valid disposal at sea permit from Environment and Climate Change Canada.  

Contact information
For questions regarding the Project and Environmental Review of the proposed project, or to get in touch with our team, please contact us by email or phone at 604.665.9047.

Please note, when receiving public feedback as part of the PER process, the port authority may collect your personal information, i.e., your name, contact information and personal views and opinions, to inform the PER process for a proposed project. Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties, such as our tenants, in order for them to respond directly to you or help inform our response. You are entitled to submit a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner office here.