Lhoist North America of Canada Inc. | Maintenance Dredging

May 27, 2022

Project status
Permit issued

On June 6, 2022, a project permit was issued to Lhoist North America of Canada Inc. to conduct Maintenance Dredging at 20303-102B Avenue, Langley, British Columbia on federal lands and waters managed by the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority.

The project was approved subject to 31 number permit conditions the applicant must meet to ensure the project does not result in significant adverse environmental effects.

About the project
Lhoist North America of Canada Inc. is proposing to conduct annual maintenance dredging of their barge loading berth located at 20303-102B Avenue, Langley, B.C. Dredging is required to maintain design depths of -6.10 metres Chart Datum. The dredge area is 100 x 30 m, and the maximum dredge volume will be 4,000 cubic metres per year for the next five years. Dredging would be performed using a clamshell dredge from a barge-mounted derrick with dredged material to be loaded to an adjacent flat scow. The proposed disposal is at a disposal at sea (DAS) site approved under a dredging contractor’s multi-site disposal at sea permit. Work is proposed to take place within the Fisheries and Oceans Canada (DFO) least risk window for the project area.  

Sediment sampling and testing was conducted in December 2021. The material consisted of silty loam and sandy loam and exceeded DAS criteria for Arsenic and Copper. Subsequent sediment toxicity testing (Tier 2 testing) was completed in January 2022 and passed DAS criteria. 

 Contact information
For questions regarding the Project and Environmental Review of the proposed project, or to get in touch with our team, please contact us by email or phone at 604.665.9047.

Please note, when receiving public feedback as part of the PER process, the port authority may collect your personal information, i.e., your name, contact information and personal views and opinions, to inform the PER process for a proposed project. Your personal information may be disclosed to third parties, such as our tenants, in order for them to respond directly to you or help inform our response.  You are entitled to submit a complaint to the Privacy Commissioner office here.