Cargill Limited | Noise Mitigation Project
On February 27, 2013, the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority issued a project permit (PP 2012-130) to Cargill Ltd. for the first phase of a noise mitigation project. Cargill Ltd. facilities are under lease with the port authority, and are located on the north shore of Burrard Inlet in Vancouver. The project permit, including conditions, is available below.
About the project
Phase 1 works included the installation of sound absorbing barriers and silencers along the north side of the facility to reduce noise levels at the nearest sensitive residence by five decibels (dBa). The works were part of a long-term noise mitigation strategy to be implemented by Cargill by 2018.
Specific construction activities included:
- installing two (2) L-shaped sound absorbing barriers located on the lower section of the trackshed roof, approximately 15 m (50 ft) long, 7.6 m (25 ft) West/ 5.8 m (16 ft) East wide at one end, and 7.0 m (23 ft) high
- installing two (2) separate sound absorbing barriers located on the upper section of the Trackshed roof, each approximately 6 m (20 ft) long, 4.5 m (15 ft) wide, and 4.5 m (15 ft) high
- installing of two (2) Trackshed Fan Exhaust Silencers
- installing of eight (8) Trackshed Dust Collector Silencers
- implementing a post-construction noise monitoring program
February 2013 – Approved project permit (PP 2012-130): Cargill Noise Mitigation Project [PDF]
May 15, 2012 – ATCO Assessment and Specification for noise controls: Cargill Noise Mitigation Project [PDF]