Port of Vancouver operations update
To Port of Vancouver’s valued customers and stakeholders,
Wildfire growth slowed down throughout the B.C. interior over the past week due to varying amounts of precipitation and cooler temperatures. Although fire danger ratings rose in the last two days due to dry and windy conditions, mainly cloudy skies and showers are forecast for much of B.C. by the end of the week and are expected to provide further relief. Until the wildfires experience substantial precipitation, the potential to return to volatile burning conditions remain.
CN and CP mainlines through the B.C. interior are operational with processed railcar volumes to and from the coast remaining consistent. Railways continue to operate under Ministerial Order (MO) 21-06 requirements.
The provincial state of emergency declared by the British Columbia Minister of Public Safety and Solicitor General remains in effect until August 31, 2021.
On-dock container cargo volumes are steady, averaging 275,000 feet over the last three weeks across all container terminals. Import container rail loading is consistent, averaging 61,000 feet per day.
Overall bulk cargo rail volumes are flowing normally, with strong coal volumes and reduced grain volumes.
Anchorage availability is sufficient and reflects seasonal norms. Coal vessels at anchor continue to experience longer than average dwell times. Container vessel anchorages have decreased with one vessel currently at anchor and seven at berth. Vessels in port (at berth and at anchor) can be viewed on the home page of the PortVan eHub app by selecting “Vessels in Port.”
As the wildfire impact on rail operations serving the Port of Vancouver has decreased significantly, the port authority will no longer send weekly operations updates as of today, Wednesday, August 25. This is in line with our partners’ responses at Emergency Management of British Columbia (EMBC) and Public Safety’s Federal Coordination Group. We will continue to monitor the situation and will recommence communications on an as needed basis.
- Port import rail on-dock footage summary: Import Rail On-dock Footage (updated daily Monday-Friday)
- PortVan eHub app: access real-time insights into Port of Vancouver operations via the port’s mobile app eHub. Download from the port’s website (eHub) or through the App Store (search for “PortVan eHub” or “Port of Vancouver”)
- Port dashboard: view updates on import rail performance, truck terminal turn times, and gateway vessel on-time performance through the port’s website (Performance Metrics).
- Port operations updates: Operations Updates
- Ministerial Order 21-06 (MO 21-06): Ministerial Order MO 21-06 (issued July 11, 2021)
- BC Wildfire Dashboard: BC Wildfire Dashboard
Please feel free to forward this update within your organization.
Thank you for your continued support of the Port of Vancouver.