Notice of amendment: Port Information Guide
Please be advised that the Vancouver Fraser Port Authority has issued a notice of amendment, dated November 13, 2020, to inform members of the public, industry and other stakeholders of proposed updates to our Port Information Guide.
Our Port Information Guide outlines practices and procedures applicable to all ships operating within defined vessel operating areas in the port authority’s jurisdiction to support the safe and efficient movement of trade. From time-to-time the port authority makes amendments, in accordance with Section 56 of the Canada Marine Act.
The Vancouver Fraser Port Authority proposes to make the following amendments to the Port Information Guide to further promote safety within the Port of Vancouver:
- Update the definition of “bunkering” and “bunkering checklist”
- Update language regarding critical marine mammal habitat, environmental requirements and other language related to encounters with marine mammals
- Change the term “Notice to Shipping” to “Navigation Warning”
- Update language regarding shifting vessels along a berth, specifically referencing that, at all times, sufficient personnel dockside are present
- Formalize procedures for the navy buoys in North Vancouver
- Update language for transit windows within Traffic Control Zone 2 (TCZ)
- Designate Anchorage Delta for emergency only
- Formalize best practices for positioning gantry cranes at all container terminals within the port authority’s jurisdiction
- Refresh the Port Information Guide with general updates that will not affect intent or application
The proposed amendments are listed in the below table, in chronological order as they appear in the Port Information Guide. The table is organized to include the relevant section, the current language in the Port Information Guide (if applicable), and the proposed new or revised language.
The amendments will be published in the Port Information Guide following a 30-day notification and comment period. All comments received will be taken into consideration before the proposed amendments are implemented.
All comments with respect to these amendments can be made in writing and directed to the attention of Marine Operations Specialist [email protected] by December 13, 2020.
Subscribe to our Marine operations email list to receive notifications of these and future amendments.